Connection

Tide Pods Challenge Could Prove Deadly

10 Deaths linked to Tide Pod Consumption

Mikayla Reynolds, Staff Writer

Dumb and dangerous internet trends usually start off as jokes , but there’s always a chance that someone will take it too far.

The current internet wave is  Tide Pods.

If you aren’t up to date, people have been joking about eating tide pods which have turned into people actually eating the detergent packs.

Before you decide to take a bite think of all the ingredients put into tide pods Ingredients in the pods include ethanol, hydrogen peroxide and polymers – a highly-toxic mix of detergent meant to clean dirt and grime.

At least 10 deaths have been linked to ingesting these pods. Two were toddlers, eight were seniors with dementia, who thought the pods were candy. The American Association of Poison Control Centers reported having been involved in 39 cases of teenagers intentionally ingesting Tide Pods this year as of January 15, with another 53 cases of teens biting or eating Tide Pods last year in a press release.

Even if you don’t bite down on the pod or swallow it, you really shouldn’t be putting it in your mouth. The packets are designed to dissolve when they get wet, which releases the caustic chemicals into your mouth and can burn the interior of your mouth and throat.

Among the symptoms shown by children who have accidentally swallowed detergent in the past are excessive vomiting, wheezing and gasping, sleepiness, breathing issues, as well as corneal abrasions if the detergent ends up entering their eyes.

The D.C.-based not-for-profit National Capital Poison Center reported that biting into a pod can cause “serious injury or even death.” Rubbing the product into the eyes can make the eyes burn, too.

In response to the trending challenge, Tide’s parent company Procter & Gamble issued a statement:

“Our laundry pacs are a highly concentrated detergent meant to clean clothes and they’re used safely in millions of households every day. They should be only used to clean clothes and kept up, closed and away from children. They should not be played with, whatever the circumstance is, even if meant as a joke.”

YouTube will remove videos that are brought to its attention and strike the channel that uploaded it. At the time of publication, the majority of videos listed for searches for the Tide Pod challenge appeared to be commentary or satirical takes on the trend, which YouTube is allowing.

In response to the challenge, companies have been making edible treats resembling the pods.  Lincoln Donut and the Brooklyn Pizzeria are both making products that are similar looking but actually edible.

Seriously don’t eat Tide Pods they can cause so many problems for your body and can actually kill you.

Proctor & Gamble also offered safety instructions for anyone who has had contact with the Tide Pods.

“Unintended exposure to or skin contact with laundry products usually causes no serious medical effects. If a product is swallowed, drink a glass of water or milk and contact the Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) or doctor immediately. Do not induce vomiting…Read the product safety information provided on the package.”