Connection

Vong Receives Top Certification Honor

Health Science Teacher Earns National Board Certification

Mrs. Angela Vong (far right) is honored at the central office with the three other CCISD teachers who received there National Board Certification this year.

Claire Tichy

Claire Tichy

Congratulations are in order for health science teacher Mrs. Angela Vong as she celebrates receiving her National Board Certification. Mrs. Vong has been taught at Clear Brook for seven years, but she’s been teaching for over 20 years.

The National Board Certification was designed to develop, retain, and recognize accomplished teachers and to generate ongoing improvement in schools and is the most respected professional certification available in K-12 education. This certification assures the public that teachers have met all of the profession’s highest standards for accomplished practice.  It also lets parents know that their kids are receiving the best education possible.

The process to become a board certified teacher is a very intricate process, so accomplishing and receiving this title is something to be extremely proud of.

“I feel very proud of this accomplishment because it’s a lot of work and it feels good to put all the effort into this and then see it all the way through,” Vong said.  “It’s definitely worth it because the process requires a lot of reflection on what kind of teacher you are, and what kind of growth you want to have as a teacher.  That reflection process has made me a better teacher, and that’s better for my students.”

Everyone has influential figures and motivators in life that help them to work hard to accomplish any goals that they may have, and the people in Mrs. Vong’s life have been there for her to encourage her.

“I originally found out about National Board Certification from my former supervisor who taught me a lot about being a good and effective teacher,” Vong said. “It was something I put on my future to-do list and a few years ago there was a district meeting about it and that’s when I began the journey. My husband was a big encourager for me to go through the process, always believing in me.  Also there’s Lisa Waligora, who teaches at Clear Creek HS, and is the current district mentor for teachers in CCISD going through the National Board process.  She was very much our cheerleader, always helpful and encouraging us to keep going, even when we felt frustrated.”

Throughout her entire teaching career, Mrs. Vong said that encouraging students to do better for themselves or follow their dreams is more memorable than any academic lesson.

“There are many memorable moments but the best memories come from hearing comments from students that let me know I have made a difference for them,” Vong said. “For example, a few years ago a student wrote me a letter thanking me for encouraging her to pursue her dreams, and for believing in her when no one else seemed to. At the end of the day, if I know I’ve encouraged a student to do better for themselves or to take a step toward their dreams, that is more memorable to me than any of my best academic lessons.”