Connection

Mandatory Laptop Return Will Affect All Students

9th-12th Grades to Turn In Laptops May 21-22

Jhair Romero, Sports Editor

Laptop turn-in for all grades will be held during advisory on May 21 and 22–we will be having two advisory days in a row to accommodate the check-in.

All students will need to bring in their school-issued laptops and chargers. Students who would like to keep their laptop for studying and finals will have to return their device to the Brook Station on their own time.

Usually seniors are the only ones that turn in their laptops right before they graduate, but this year freshmen, sophomores and juniors will be included in the mandatory turn-in.

Those that plan on doing summer school or taking online courses over the break will have another laptop supplied to them for the duration of the term.

Computer technician Sean Michael said that the laptops will go through a multitude of upgrades over the summer.

“There are a number of things we are upgrading,” Michael said. “We’re reimaging everyone to Windows 10, giving them the latest software and security updates.”

Students that lost their laptops will have to pay a $500 fine and an additional $30 if their charger is lost as well. A police report must be filed if a laptop or charger was stolen in order to be exempt from the fines.

After the upgrades are done, the laptops will be redistributed at schedule preview once they return from summer break for the 2018–2019 school year.

English teacher Mrs. Kelly Winslow said she is excited for the upcoming updates on the devices.

“Even though it’s going to require some effort and time for the teachers and their students, I think everybody is going to be really glad we did it,” Mrs. Winslow said. “They’ll get their laptops back in the fall and hopefully they will be running wonderfully.”