Connection

Volleyball Ends Season on a High Note

Lady Wolverines send the ball back over to Dickinson's side at the net.

Kaaynat Mistry

Kaaynat Mistry

Jhair Romero, Sports Editor

Volleyball closed out a rough season strong with wins against Dickinson and a fifth place district finish.

The team has faced many challenges this season, including an injury to one of their star players, Jordan Russell.

Russell, a senior offensive and middle hitter, is one of the team’s best players. She is the team captain, but was sidelined the first half of the season because of a shoulder injury. Russell returned to the team during a 3-0 win against Alvin. Her volleyball career at Clear Brook is now over, but she is already committed to play division one volleyball at Rice University.

Russell has said that she had a hard time during her recovery because of her being on the sideline and not in the game.

“It was really difficult,” Russell said. “I got to watch my team win and lose. I couldn’t really do much about it. I could just sit there on the bench, and try to push them to be their best.”

The aftermath of Hurricane Harvey was also a challenge for the Lady Wolverines. They had to miss a tournament in Alvin, and also missed five matches between August 22 and September 13. These matches, including the match between Clear Falls and the CCISD Varsity Invitational, are meant to help the team develop before the start of district play.

Senior Hannah Wolf said that the team has performed well despite having to miss all those matches.

“We’ve been pretty decent considering we lost a lot of our preseason due to the hurricane,” Wolf said. “We’ve been kind of shaky. We’ve been working out the kinks that we were supposed to work out in the preseason, but we’ve been getting better.”

Despite the challenges to begin the season, the team has had really big performances this year. The team has had dominant 3-0 wins against Alvin and Dickinson, and nail-biting wins against Clear Lake and Clear Springs.

In their big win versus Springs, the team rallied to win three straight sets after being down 2-0. The team also won their final match of the year against Dickinson. The 3-0 statement victory was solid way to top off their 2017.

Head Volleyball Coach Meredith Thompson has said that Clear Brook can expect some new faces on the team next year.

“Next year we’ll look a lot different,” Coach Thompson said. “We’re graduating seven seniors, so we’ll have six returning varsity players. Half the team will be new to varsity, probably different positions, but I think we will be successful.”

Although they are losing half of the team to graduation, they still have a lot of potential in their younger players. Kailin Newsome, a sophomore offensive hitter, was one of the district leaders in the kills stat, accumulating 329 kills on the year and fifth place in the district leaderboard. Junior middle hitter Kennedy Crutchfield was also a statistics leader in total blocks, with 99 total blocks throughout the season.

Russell said that she was shocked by the performance of the team’s rising stars.

“Coming back and seeing how much they’ve grown physically and emotionally for the sport is pretty amazing,” Russell said. “I’m actually really proud of them for being able to take my spot and push the team the way I couldn’t.”

Russell has also said that the young players have the potential to carry the team even further in the future.

1 Comment

One Response to “Volleyball Ends Season on a High Note”

1. Yacira castillo on December 8th, 2017 4:19 pm

Just want to let you know I enjoy reading all your articles , great Job Jhair

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• News

Important Dates for Seniors Loom Closer

• News

Mandatory Laptop Return Will Affect All Students

• Volleyball Ends Season on a High Note

Features

Daley Named Teacher of the Year

• Volleyball Ends Season on a High Note

Opinion

Astros Start 2018 Season

• Volleyball Ends Season on a High Note

Opinion

Never Again

• Volleyball Ends Season on a High Note

News

CB Players Present Frighteningly Funny Musical

• Volleyball Ends Season on a High Note

Sports

Boys Soccer Starts Season Strong

• Volleyball Ends Season on a High Note

News

Tide Pods Challenge Could Prove Deadly

• Volleyball Ends Season on a High Note

Features

Cheer Sets Sights on Competition Season

• Volleyball Ends Season on a High Note

Features

Inside and Out

The Student News Site of Clear Brook High School
Volleyball Ends Season on a High Note