Connection

Winter Guard Practices for Repeat State Championship

Rachel Taylor, Photo Editor

Clear Brook High School Color Guard ended their season on a positive note taking best Color Guard at United States Scholastic Band Association. This excited the girls to start their Winter Guard competition season.

Sophomore Natalie Jones says Winter Guard is an intense Color Guard competition season.

“Color Guard is with the marching band, and a routine that ties in with that,” Jones said. “Winter Guard is more dance oriented and it’s just us. I am really excited for our first competition because we have a really cool theme this year.”

Winter Guard has separate tryouts and is almost completely divided from Color Guard. There is a varsity and junior varsity team and they have two different themes, routines, and competitions. Sophomore Alexis Castillo says she is looking forward to joining the varsity girls this year as they take on the theme Remedy.

“This year the varsity theme is Remedy we will be dancing to that by Adel,” Castillo said. “I am so looking forward to it. I am really excited to be on Varsity. We have so much to learn but we still learn every single day.”

Varsity Winter Guard has its first competetion in February to kick off the season, but they’re already working hard on routines and new tosses to take home first in statelike last year. Senior co-captain Chaela Hurtado says she can’t wait to see how the first year varsity girls compete.

“I am more than excited to see the new girls,” Hurtado said. “There’s over five new girls joining the varsity team and I can’t wait to see what they bring to the table. I have seen them improve so much and I know this will just add and add to their progress.”

There is nothing but good spirit in a room with the team. The girls are always ready to learn something new or improve. Sophomore Lexie Herlich-Burgess, who helps lead the JV team, says she feels very close to the girls she competes with.

“These girls are my family and I can’t wait to see where I go with these people,” Herlich-Burgess said. “I just really can’t wait to start competing and growing even more.”

Lexie Mitchell said Herlich-Burgess has been helpful to her in Winter Guard.

“Someone who always helps is the other Lexie,” Mitchell said. “She is always going through and helping people even if she needs help herself. A lot of girls help though, we are a family.”