Connection

Boys Soccer Starts Season Strong

After blocking a goal attempt, sophomore goalkeeper Brandon Perez boots the ball to his teammates downfield in a JV tournament game at Brook. Photo by Jhair Romero

Jhair Romero

Jhair Romero

Jhair Romero, Sports Editor

The boys soccer team is set to start their slate of district games after a good run in their pre-conference outings so far.

The Wolverines began their season with three straight wins, winning two games against the Shadow Creek Sharks, and another win versus Austin High School.

Senior soccer player and four-year varsity member Jordan Greenshield had a lot of praise for teammates seniors Gareth Cupples and Eli Thomas.

“[Cupples]… he’s a good goal scorer. [Thomas] is probably one of our best defenders… I think we have pretty good chemistry. We’ve been playing together for a long time,” Greenshield said.

The team has a big advantage in their players’ experience. 18 out of their 22 players are seniors, and the majority of the players have been playing together since they were just kids in elementary. This helps them in the long run when it comes to having to having a good team bond, which is always important for any sport.

A lot of players are looking forward to the match-ups against Clear Springs and Clear Lake, two of Clear Brook’s biggest rivals. Although the team has had to deal with several injuries to key players, the group remains optimistic for the rest of the season.

Cupples says that he’s confident in the squad’s ability to qualify for the playoffs in 2018 despite the unexpected injuries.

“We’re doing what we can, and I think we’re doing pretty well,” Cupples said. “We’ll make playoffs.”

The Wolverines open up district play against the Clear Falls Knights on January 26.