Connection

CB Players Present Frighteningly Funny Musical

Young Frankenstein to Open Thursday

The cast of Young Frankenstein performs

The cast of Young Frankenstein performs "The Brain" in dress rehearsals Jan. 23. Photo by Mikayla Reynolds

Mikayla Reynolds

Mikayla Reynolds

Travis Rhodes, Staff Writer

It’s a classic tale of mad science, monsters… and music? In the upcoming production of Young Frankenstein, the CB Players will bring life to the Mel Brooks musical comedy reimagining of Frankenstein.

The process of bringing the musical to the stage has been a difficult one. Director Mrs. Jennifer Grabowski has worked with technical director Ms. Lisa Chapa, choir director Mr. Jon Marcum and dance instructor Mr. Ash Cook to make sure the students know the lines, the steps, the notes and can perform it all while wearing period appropriate costumes and even stilts.

Junior Aaron Stulak, who portrays several characters  in the play said the most difficult part was choreography.

“The most difficult thing was probably the putting on the Ritz since we had to deal with a lot of people who had never tapped before, find tap shoes, and Joseph even had to tap in stilts.”

Sophomore Elizabeth Jackson, who portrays Frederick’s fiancee, also named Elizabeth, has found the experience different from what she expected, but enjoyable.

“The experience has been awesome and educational,” Jackson said. “I learned a lot and made of friends and I have had a great time so far. When we started I thought we’d get everything done a little faster, but now I realize that it takes a while to get put together and I expect to give a great and funny musical.”

Sophomore Ryan Fielder, who plays Igor, was also surprised by working on the musical.

“I’m very excited for the musical,” Fielder said. “I was hesitant at first, but I’ve been proven wrong time and time again.”

Stulak was also excited for the performances.

“I’m excited for everything to come together because we’ve been working on it since late October and it’s been a huge undertaking,” Stulak said.

The play is full of visual and verbal jokes, lively songs and dance numbers.

“If the audience wants a good laugh and wants to see some great talent, they should come see Young Frankenstein for a night of laughs and music,” Jackson said.

The CB Players production of Young Frankenstein opens Thursday, Jan. 25, with shows Jan. 25-26 at 7 p.m., Jan. 27-28 at 2 p.m. and Feb. 1-2 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $7 for students with I.D. and $10 for adults.